Ready to Take the Test?
The Emirates News Agency WAM recently informed readers that “Expatriates applying for residency visa in future will be tested in their knowledge of local culture.”
In making this announcement, Ahmed Shabeeb Al Dhahiri said questions could include this question: ‘What is the country's flag?’
Flagging the Questions
Here are some questions about the UAE flag to get you into training to take the official UAE Culture Test towards the residency visa:
1. Which of the 4 flags (pictured) is the UAE flag?
2. Can you name the other three flags (for 3 bonus points towards your UAE visa)?
3. When was the UAE flag first adopted and raised?
4. What is the significance of the four colors of the UAE flag grouped together?
5. What is the meaning of the individual colors that make up the UAE flag?
6. Where is the world’s largest flagpole located?
7. When was the world’s largest aerial flag or banner ever flown?
8. On which day of the year will you see the most UAE flags flying?
Scroll down when you are ready for the answers.
Any person cheating will may have their UAE Residency Visa or application cancelled!
1. The UAE flag is at the bottom left.
2. Top left: Egypt
Top right: Kuwait
Bottom right: Oman
(One point for each right answer)
3. The UAE flag was first adopted and raised on 2 December 1971 when, at the Dubai Guesthouse Palace, four other Emirates agreed to join Abu Dhabi and Dubai and enter into a union of six Emirates called the United Arab Emirates (Ras al-Khaimah joined later, in early 1972).
4. Red, green, white and black are the Pan-Arab colors which symbolize Arab unity and are found in the Arab Revolt Flag and the Arab Liberation Flag which may well have been the inspiration for the design of the UAE flag.
5. Green is the color of fertility and change (remember the green used in the protest of the Iranian elections). It is also an important color in Islam, hence, it is used in many of the towers on a Muslim mosque.
White: the color of neutrality.
Black: the color of the flag of the prophet Mohammed.
Red: the color of unity
(One point for each right answer).
6. The world’s largest flagpole is located in Abu Dhabi. WAM reported 29 November 2007:
“As part of the celebrations to mark 36th national day anniversary, Sheikh Zayed bin Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan yesterday hoisted UAE flag on top of the world's largest flagpole at the breakwater area in Abu Dhabi. The flag-hoisting ceremony was held under the patronage of General Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces. The flag, which is 30- meters long and 15 - meter wide, was sewn by more than 400 students from the Abu Dhabi Centre for Rehabilitation of People with Special Needs, under the supervision of the Armed Forces Officers Club.”
7. The largest aerial flag or banner ever flown was on 2 December 2007 over Abu Dhabi. Gulf News reported:
“The world's largest flag was displayed above Abu Dhabi on Sunday afternoon as celebrations for the 36th UAE National Day got under way.”
“The 50,000 square foot flag of the UAE was towed by helicopter above the Corniche.”
8. The day of the year when the most UAE flags are flying is UAE National Day, 2 December.
How Did You Score?
10-13 points: You should have your visa approved right away.
7-9 points: You still have some work to do.
0-6 points: No visa for you and if you have one it should be cancelled and you should be deported to Oman while you prepare to undertake a new test and visa application.
Lesson #1 Culture Test for UAE Residency Visa, ETE.
The Flags of Fujairah, Fujairah in Focus, 22 July 2009.
Dr Geoff Pound
Geoff can be contacted by email at geoffpound(at)gmail.com on Facebook and Twitter.
This article and its author have no relationship to the authorities who grant residency visas for the UAE.
The information and questions are not official and cannot be relied upon for residency application.
Saudi: 90-day Amnesty for undocumented migrants - Last week, Saudi Arabia announced an amnesty for irregular migrants. Starting March 29, undocumented migrant workers will be able to avoid fines and penalt...
11 hours ago