Study these questions and answers in preparation for when the quiz leader turns to the subject of the well known Dubai personality, His Highness (HH) Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum:
Questions (answers down the page)
1. In what year was HH Sheikh Mohammed born?
2. Name at least two of HH Sheikh Mohammed’s political roles?
3. How many wives does HH Sheikh Mohammed have and what are their names?
4. How many children is HH Sheikh Mohammed credited with?
5. HH Sheikh Mohammed has been a keen sportsman. Name two sports in which he has participated.
6. HH Sheikh Mohammed owns or is a leading partner in several horse stables. Can you name at least two of these stables?
7. In what year did HH Sheikh Mohammed become Ruler of Dubai and Prime Minister and Vice President of the UAE?
8. HH Sheikh Mohammed and his investment company (DIC) have been connected with attempts to purchase which English football club?
9. At last count (2007) what was HH Sheikh Mohammed’s estate worth?
10. HH Sheikh Mohammed owns a yacht. What is the name of the yacht and what is distinctive about it?
Scroll down for the answers.
1. HH Sheikh Mohammed was born in 1949 on 22 July.
2. Among his major political roles, HH Sheikh Mohammed is Prime Minister of the UAE, Vice President of the UAE and the Ruler of Dubai.
3. HH Sheikh Mohammed has two wives, his ‘senior wife’ is Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma al Maktoum (his first cousin) whom he married in 1979, and his ‘junior wife’ is HRH Princess Haya bint Al Hussein, (daughter of King Hussein of Jordan) whom he married in 2004.
4. HH Sheikh Mohammed has 19 children, 8 sons and 11 daughters.
5. Horse racing (including Endurance Racing) and camel racing.
6. HH Sheikh Mohammed’s horse stables include:
Gainsborough Stud in Wooton Hill, Berkshire, England.
Ballysheehan Stud, Ireland.
Gainsborough Farms, Versailles, Kentucky, USA.
Woodlands Stud, the largest stud in Australia.
7. HH Sheikh Mohammed was named to these political roles in 2006 (January 4 and 5).
8. HH Sheikh Mohammed and his company have negotiated to purchase the Liverpool Football Club.
9. In 2007 HH Sheikh Mohammed’s fortune was said to have been worth US$18 billion making him the world’s fifth richest royal.
10. HH Sheikh Mohammed purchased a yacht named Dubai which is the longest yacht in the world at 163 metres or 530 feet.
All questions and answers were drawn in September 2008 (they might need updating) from the following sites:
Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Wikipedia.
His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Official Site.
8/10-If you got 8 questions right you deserve to have lunch in the Burj al Arab (one of HH Sheikh Mohammed’s famous building projects).
9/10-If you got 9 questions right you deserve to be taken to the top of the highest building in the world, the Burj Dubai, another historic project over which HH Sheikh Mohammed has presided.
10/10-If you got 10 questions right you deserve a trip to watch the Dubai Cup, the richest horse race in the world.
Quizzes about His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum and the UAE are very popular with people of all ages.
There are several quizzes (at various levels) listed on HR Mohammed’s Official Site at this link for anyone wanting to get more practice.
Sheikh Mohammed Hailed as Most Powerful in Horse Racing Industry, ETE.
Sheikh Mohammed Pays Record Price for Aussie Horse Racing Deal, ETE.
Sheikh Mohammed’s Ambitions for Middle East, ETE.
Shaikh Mohammad Models Rare Style of Leadership, ETE.
Shaikh Mohammed’s Leadership is Honoured, ETE.
New Website for H H Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, ETE.
Dubai and Shaikh Mohammed on 60 Minutes Video, ETE.
Dr Geoff Pound
Image: Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Collage.